Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Aran Islands

The Cliffs
Fortress Remains

If you are headed to Ireland, one visit I suggest you make while you are there is to the Aran Islands. The Aran Islands are a group of three islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) located at Galway Bay on the west coast of Ireland. I visited Inishmore.

To reach the Aran Islands you will have to take a ferry (passenger only) from Galway Harbour. If I remember correctly the ferry ride is a little over an hour long. Once you arrive you will now step foot on some of the most historical land in Ireland. The two main things you will experience at the Aran Islands are the cliffs and the archaeological remains (see the pictures above for a small sample). The limestone cliffs are amazing and cannot be truly appreciated until you stand on the edge for yourself and take it all in. The archaeological remains  consist on stone walls tracing through the entire island and the remains of old stone fortresses (such as Arkin's Castle). The historical scenery is enhanced by the fact that the small inhabitants of the Aran Islands still speak Gaelic (don't worry most speak English as well). This is one of the very few places in Ireland where the traditional language of Ireland is still uttered.

So, on your visit to Ireland don't forget to stop by the Aran Islands. You can expect to witness an unforgettable scenery and a personal experience with Irish history.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really interested in learning more about Ireland. It's on my list of places to travel to. The Aran Islands look beautiful and interesting. Thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't be disappointed if you take a trip to Ireland. The "feel" of Europe, in general, is quite different... kind of a relaxing and live life attitude. If you do visit Ireland, as I stated in this article, I highly recommend the Aran Islands. Being on the islands just gives you some perspective on a different time and place in history which is an awesome experience. Now go to Ireland... you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete