Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Connemara



Another place that I suggest you visit while in Ireland is Connemara. Connemara is one of the most scenic places in all of Ireland. This scenic area is located in county Galway between Lough Corrib and the Atlantic.


Connemara was inhabited by ancient Gaelic tribes until the 18th century. The region is largely covered by the Twelve Bens mountain range. This area of Ireland will really give you an idea of Irish history. Away from the city life of the "new Ireland."

Kylemore Abby is located in the Connemara region. This is worth a stop and look. While at Kylemore Abby you will learn about the amazing history of this Gothic church. Also, on the grounds are the Victorian Walled Gardens which you should check out. They are truly a site to see.


The Connemara region also has several old ruins and cemeteries to see. We are talking about things older than most Americans can identify with in our view of the world. Definitely stop and see these sights in Connemara. Words cannot express the experience.


When you go to Ireland don't forget to stop by Connemara. You will not be disappointed. The sights in this article are a very small sample of what you will experience.

2 comments:

  1. When did you visit Ireland? How many times? Do you have family there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Ireland for five weeks during 2007. During my visit I stayed in Dublin and Galway. I ventured out to other areas fairly near to Galway and Dublin...some examples are represented in the posts I have made. During my five weeks in Ireland I took short weekend trips to other countries. The other countries I visited were England, Belgium, and France. So, to answer your questions, no family over there and I only visited once. But, it was for five weeks so I became pretty well acquainted with my new surroundings and experienced the equivelent of two or three trips.

    ReplyDelete