Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Vast Network Under Paris

As I said in a previous post, if you visit Ireland then you might as well stop by a few other countries while you stay in Europe. Once of those places is Paris, France. Paris has many reasons to attract visitors. I am sure all of the people reading this post have a solid dose of imagery dance into their thoughts. One rather interesting attraction are the catacombs under Paris.

Most people who haven't been to Paris or haven't researched the city just don't realize that there is a real Paris "underground." This "underground" just isn't a commonly known or talked about attraction for Paris. Under Paris is a vast tunnel system that is mostly the remains of the quarries that were used to build much of the city. Most of the vast network of tunnels are illegal to access. Of course, that doesn't stop everyone. There are many stories of tunnel explorers. There have even been discoveries of complex caverns built and used by the likes of secret societies.

The one area that is not illegal to visit and is, in fact, an attraction the city offers are the catacombs. The catacombs are the home of the remains of about six million people that were relocated from the overcrowded cemeteries of Paris. If you ever travel to Paris I recommend visiting this attraction as word don't really describe it. And, the link above which includes a slideshow of a few images from the catacombs will give you an idea of what to expect but really do not do the attraction justice!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post & pix. I've been to Paris twice and never heard of these catacombs. Will definitely take time to find out more. I saw something similar at the Vatican in Rome.

    ReplyDelete